06 July 2013

7.6.13 Heavy Bench 3-a-day

Covers are never as good as the original... unless they are.  Here's a cover of one of the most iconic heavy metal songs ever recorded, and it lives up to its name.


Normally, Saturdays start off with a sled dragging session to recover from Friday's heavy squats.  Well, this morning, everyone slept in a bit, so I split my PM heavy bench session in two: back accessory in the morning, heavy bench in the evening.

AM
Barbell Row
165 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 3
165 x 8

High Cable Row
100 x 10
120 x 10 x 3

Pullup
body x 8, 8, 6

Concentration Curl
35 x 6 x 4

I perform barbell rows strictly with a wide grip, middle fingers on rings.  High cable rows are something I came up with to work the rear delts and traps.  I attach a straight bar to a low row station, lean back at about a 45 degree angle, and pull the bar to my neck.

PM
Foam Roller Press
315 x 5
335 x 5
350 x 5, 5, 3

Only the first set of 5 at 350 is shown, and I just noticed that I accidentally typed 355 in the vid.  Oops.

1 Arm Dumbbell Shoulder Press
55 x 10 x 3
a) Concentration Curl
30 x 10 x 5
b) Russian Pushup
body x 8 x 3, 5 x 2

Today was the first time I tried a foam roller press.  It's similar to a 3 board, except you can sink the bar into it, so you can't relax at the bottom.

Here's a vid of what I call Russian pushups: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbcvvXcNGcM

PM Later
Sled

Surprise.  We ended up doing the sled work later in the evening.  I trained three times today.  Feels bad, in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment